Thursday, September 29, 2011

Making tough decisions





I've recently received some valuable feedback regarding the plot of Shadow Embraced, so I've been in major revision mode. But, along the way I've had to make decisions as to what to change and what I really want to keep.

During my edits, I've had to be very selective about which advice I follow. So, what I learnt during this process is:

Writing, and reading, is very subjective. One person may hate something, some element of the story, while another may love it. I have learnt this by being a part of a critique group. Not everyone is going to love the story.

So, how do you make the tough decisions when it comes to writing? Do you have anyone reading the story before it's complete?

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I have 2 great people in my writing group. They agree on some things, but they often have differing opinions on others. As the writer, I have the final say so I usually pick one I agree with. I have a couple other writer friend who've read my work and they've given me advice that I don't take, BUT it has often put me on another track with writing. Gives me a new angle, I never would've thought of if not for their advice, that I didn't take. LOL. If this makes any sense...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like to gather a few decisions and always some male and some female.

Angela Brown said...

When involved with a critique group, and getting feedback from multiple people, it's the things identified by most of the group as a "possible problem" or "issue" that I'll consider for major revision. If it's something two people love and another two people hate, then I review it to see if it fits my needs. I've learned to NOT marry myself to the words and that helps with revisions and edits.

Kaylie Austen said...

Yes, and it's mainly that my descriptive/poetic prose has to be dumbed down a little. I don't think it's necessary to alleviate readers from a wider vocabulary when it can be said in simple terms...however, my editor, reviewers, critique partners, and agents have told me this. So, if so many reputable people say this, I suppose they must be right. They know what sells.

However, I've had issues in other departments, like passive writing, 2-dimensional characters, and suspension of belief that I tend to revise without arguing much because I know those things are important and helps me grow as a writer.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess I just go with my gut instinct. I've agreed with most of my critique partners' suggestions, but twice I've stuck to my guns.

Deborah Walker said...

I don't get feedback, because it leaves me so confused. Go with your instinct is great advise, but I can't seem to follow it. Every one makes really good points. And sometime even if I can see the flaws, I prefer the flaws because they're mine-- yikes.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva