Saturday, September 4, 2010

Doing research

Well, as I've been speaking about, I've just recently started writing (well, trying to plot or make sense of) a new story. It's not funny how many times the idea has changed. The one thing that hasn't changed, and won't, is my MC. Michaela (or Micki) is spunky and adventurous, but the one flaw she has is that she can never resist a dare, and she can be talked into anything.

She likes one sport, and this is something that I don't know much about... parkour. What is parkour? It's free running. Most action movies has it when there's a chase and they climb up walls, jump fences and are just awesome. Apart from seeing it in movies, I really have no idea what's involved in it, but I do know that there are actually classes where I can learn it (which I believe will make writing about the movements easier).

I have always wanted to learn how to do that, even though I probably will suck at it. If it makes my writing more beleivable, isn't that what really counts, though. So, I'll probably take the chance and go ahead to see what is really involved with this sport (or end up hurting myself in the process, oh well it's for my story).

What kind of research do you do before you start writing? Do you write just what you know, or do you go out and find something new and have that new experience to know what to write?

4 comments:

MTeacress said...

My MC is training for a marathon, and I'm no runner! It's been fun to talk to runner friends, look up training schedules, running shoes, etc. I know "they" say to write what you know, and I agree, but I also believe it's okay to write what you don't know - at least a little. ;)

Unknown said...

Parkour? That's so cool! It's great that you're planning on taking classes to learn about the sport! I'm taking riding lessons...but I draw the line at learning swordfighting.

Good luck with your (very physical) research! Maybe you can do a blogpost on it in the future?

Tessa.x

Anonymous said...

It's great you're doing physical research. I've heard that's very inspirational.

For me, anything that isn't available on the net isn't going to get me off my big fat butt to go find out about. Haha!

Wishing you all the best and some IcyHot to go with all the soreness...

Christine Fonseca said...

I do a lot of setting research before I start out. BTW - I left somethingfor you on my blog...http://christinefonseca.wordpress.com/

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva