Saturday, September 18, 2010

Review: Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Synopsis (From Goodreads): Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


Kiersten White has created a truly original paranormal story, and no, the vampires aren't sexy. Evie has always thought of herself as normal, well except for working for a paranormal containment agency and having an ex who's a faery and she can see through glamours. From the first line Evie had me hooked. She was just a girly girl who's obssessed with teen soaps and has a very normal teenage attitude (except for her strong desire to go to school). She's definitely a character that anyone can relate with, and all this paranormal activity is happening around her.

The story is interesting and original, and it kept me guessing right up till the end (which is a good sign of an interesting story). And, who can't fall in love with the guys? Lend is very different from all the others out there, he's just a normal teenager who is just adorable, especially when he's giving cheek in the various forms that he can shift into. And then there's Reth, who is just obssessed with Evie.

This story was up at the top of my list to read, and now I know why. It's definitely a page turner that you won't be able to put down. I can't wait for the next one.

Cover: I love the cover, it's very elegant and depicts Evie really well. The pink among the dark scene really shows what she is like. It's fantastic.


 

Plot: 5/5 stars
Ending: 5/5 stars
Cover: 5/5 stars
Overall: 5/5 stars
Recommend: Any paranormal romance
Debut Author Challenge: #10 of 12

4 comments:

Stina said...

I enjoyed the book, too. I didn't love it, but I did love many things about it. I'm with you. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Kerri Cuev said...

I liked this one!

Jemi Fraser said...

This one's on my wishlist! :)

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks this is a Buffy knock-off? Granted, I only read the first few pages (on Amazon), but isn't the whole snarky first-person voice getting old? I don't get it...

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva