Don't forget to enter my 300 follower contest for a chance to win a $30 gift card from Amazon.
Okay, I know the picture above has absolutely nothing to do with koalas, kangaroos or kookaburras, but they were the only things I could think about that start with K to do a post about Australia. And, with doing this post I noticed how weird it was that the three most noticeable native Australian animals start with the letter K.
What's with the picture above? Well, that's what I get if I drive 20 minutes. 20 minutes the other way I've got a rainforest, 20 minutes in another direction the countryside and 40 minutes north I've got the capital and busy city. Yeah I know, I'm very lucky about where I live.
So, for a fun little post here are some fun little facts about Australia:
- Australia is the sixth largest country in the world.
- More than 85 per cent of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast (including me :D).
- Australia was originally a British penal colony for exiled thieves and murderers.
- Those from New South Wales are called cockroaches, I’ll leave that to your own imagination (yeah, that was me... now I'm a Queenslander till the end of the year before moving back).
- Sydney is the largest city with over 4 million people, while the capital Canberra has around 300,000.
- A thong in Australia refers to rubber footwear and not a pair of tiny bum less knickers as it does America.
- One of our former Prime Ministers Bob Hawke was in the Guinness Book of World Records In 1954 because he drank 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds.
- Australia is home to 21 of the world’s 25 deadliest snakes.
So, where does everyone come from? Do you know any interesting facts about your home town/country?