Monday, February 1, 2010

Fight Scene Blogfest...

Around the blogosphere there are several blogs out there posting a fight scene, so here's mine from Haven:

Her blows come quick – and hard – knocking me back into the fleshy wall of the crowd. The many hands assist me back to the centre ring. The circle tightens. Their chanting sounds like an eerie tribal drumbeat warming up for the big sacrifice.

“Fight! fight! fight!”

Music blares in the background. Deep bass reverberates through the warped wooden floorboards with a lead singer who sounds like he’s chewing on tin foil. I’m surprised I can still hear all the taunts my opponent keeps screaming at me.

“What are you waiting for?” the girl hisses. Her porcelain skin makes mine look tanned in comparison. She could be Snow White with that long, raven hair, not a strand out of place, even after all of her sudden movements. “You started this. It was just between me and her.” She extends one long finger towards my best friend, Alex.

Alex watches from the sideline. This is getting to be the norm. Whenever we go out, she always gets in trouble and I’m the one to fix it – usually with some bloodshed.

I don’t know what Alex did to piss off this poisonous cow, but I wasn’t going to stand by and do nothing.

“Come on, Scar,” Alex calls, running her hands through her long bleached hair, which was overdue for another dose of peroxide. Her lanky physique and plastered on makeup makes her look eighteen even though she’s my age, which might explain the bottle of beer in her hand.

I shield my face from her punches. Who says girls only slap and scratch? It all comes down to waiting for an opening. She is fast, almost as fast as me. I look up at her. It’s getting difficult to maintain my balance enough to strike back. Of all the fights I’ve gotten myself into, I have never regretted any of them, though I’m starting to with this one.

I duck under a right hook and seize my chance. There’s always an upside to being short. I launch an uppercut and knock her pale ass to the ground. Before she has a chance to regain her feet, I pounce.

A single word roars through the room. “Scatter!”

The tight circle breaks and chaos erupts. The girl beneath me shoves me aside and springs to her feet. The need to fight still blazes in her eyes, but there's something else emerging as well. They change to a deep crimson. I stumble back, trying to suppress the cold fear swimming in my guts.

3 comments:

Kerri Cuev said...

Chree I loved it! Haven has to be published because all these tidbits are teasers! I want to read this lol!

Anonymous said...

Awesome scene, Cheree! I love Scar's Voice, and she is totally kick-ass! :)

C R Ward said...

This was great! It really left me wanting more. :-)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva