Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It can be done...

What? I hear you wondering. Well, I just got back from the movie Daybreakers (and by the way, I absolutely loved it) and that movie just proves that an overused topic can still have a fresh and intriguing twist added to it. And for all those out there that haven't heard of the movie (well, you should have) it is a great "Australian" made vampire movie.

I hear gasps of horror. Surely there's no other way that a vampire story can still be original. You guessed wrong. The twists this movie plays up is the question of "what would happen if the world was over run by vampires and humans were a rare commodity".

Sitting through this movie made me ponder some questions that I have been asking myself in regards to my vampire novel, Haven. I hate to say it, but I seriously need to do a rewrite (and focus less on the vamp school thing). I've had a great idea to alter the setting, which will probably take a lot of work, but I've never been more motivated in my life (and all because of a movie... that actually shocks me too).

Instead of a school for Haven I've decided to turn the location into a Boot Camp. What does that sound like? A boot camp for vamps... where everything's back to basic training for these new recruits. I'm not changing because one person doesn't like the setting, I'm changing because my gutt is telling me something.

Do you ever feel like this, where something has inspired you enough to decide that a major rewrite of your story was necessary, or even been inspired enough to write something that you would never have thought about before? Or, am I just going a bit crazy?

P.s. Tonight I'm over the moon, after getting back from the movies I found out that I've been accepted into uni to study to become a teacher... Yay me...

3 comments:

Kerri Cuev said...

Boot Camp for vampires...sounds interesting to me!

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

Congrats on being accepted into the University!!!

I like the idea of a vampire boot camp. That sounds fresh.

lisa and laura said...

I love the idea of vampires coming together at boot camp. You could have a lot of fun with this!

And congrats on getting accepted. I taught 6th grade Language Arts before I had my daughter and I loved it!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva