Thursday, June 21, 2012

Does reading help?

I'm a writer, but also an avid reader. Seriously, I have about 500 books sitting on my shelves (yes, some of them have been read) and I love devouring new and interesting stories. It amazes me when I meet someone who says that they want to be a writer, but they don't like reading. I just can't imagine being a writer and not loving to read.

I believe reading helps, not only to show you what's out there and is currently being published, but it also helps with the skills of writing and broadens the language skills of the writer. Yes, reading can even give inspiration and help writer's block. At the moment I'm writing a YA horror and was having a bit of problem bringing the eeriness and scares into the scenes where I know what's coming. Okay, I'm obsessed with horror movies and have read some horror novels (loved R.L. Stine when I was younger), but I didn't know how to make something scary when I knew every single event and surprise that was happening. That's when I had a spur-of-the-moment impulse to read some horror books that I've heard are really creepy (none other than the Ring books by Koji Suzuki) and just the first chapter has really helped give me some ideas as to creating an eerie atmosphere so that my scenes will be super scary (which is exactly what I want).

So, I believe reading is a necessary part of the writing process. What do you think?

2 comments:

Kirthi said...

Hello Cheree!
Oh most definitely. Many writers are avid readers, and many readers are avid writers. Reading is so helpful in that it allows one to know how to sew paragraphs together, learn new vocabulary, get ideas and become inspired and so on. Honestly, it's a huge part of being a writer!

Writing a horror story? Oh wow, I can tell by the darkness of your blog design, haha :D I've never liked horror, R.L Stine scared the living daylights out of me! It's definitely an interesting genre to write, and I look forward to seeing your book on the shelf, hehe. I reckon it'll be one of the few horror books I'll read in my lifetime.

Thanks for the awesome post!
-Kirthi

Mina Lobo said...

I also have a hard time understanding someone who wants to write but doesn't like to read...what's up with that?

I do have to say, though, that I tend to get so sucked into reading that I've no interest in writing - so when I'm actively working on a project, I find I read not at all. Then I can go long periods of reading and not writing. It's feast or famine with me, I suppose. Tsk.
Some Dark Romantic

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva