Friday, July 16, 2010

Mapping things out

I'm getting back into writing Heroes and it's made me think about plotting out the entire novel. Usually I have a bare bones outline and let my characters direct where they want to go, but with this novel, I've found out that I need to reign in my MC's and I need to know exactly where I'm going. Since there's 2 MC's I need to know exactly what's going to happen, what I'm going to leave in and most importantly what I'm going to leave out.

Now, there's only one problem I've got to deal with when writing, and that's making sure my characters actually listen to me.

So, how do you write? Are you the plotter or the flyer?

7 comments:

Keri said...

I usually write a really vague outline. I'll list all the chapters and what happens in each of them and then I'll just try and write them. I don't really know how to write a very good outline, let alone follow through with one.

Natasha said...

I wish I were, but I am definitely NOT a plotter. I have a vague idea of what is going to happen, but only that.

Dr. Mohamed said...

A little bit of both, depending on mood. Writing's a creative expression, always feeding on and coming from moods; I can't see it being mechanized to a set of specific activities.

Stephanie Lorée said...

I'm a plotter. Though I always find things changing in major ways as I go. This generally happens around the 1/3rd point of the novel. Then I have to go back and re-plot. I'm always surprised by what my characters do despite my over-arching plot.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm pretty much a flyer, although I do tend to have an ending scene in mind when I start. It's crazy, but lots of fun that way :)

MTeacress said...

A plotter or a flyer? I think I'm a flotter. I do a rough outline, chapter by chapter, and then fly from there.
Have a great weekend!

E. Arroyo said...

I'm both. First draft is fly by the seat of my pants, then I have to reign everything in and figure out what the heck its about.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva