Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Don't say it's only a minor role...

Yesterday I listed the common types of minor characters that populates stories. Today, I'm asking which minor characters do you find memorable?

To read a novel or watch a movie/show I've got to love the leads, but if I'm able to fall in love with one of those on the side lines it makes the experience so much better. So, here's a few of my favourites (well, those that I can remember at the moment):


1. Castiel
I'm a huge Supernatural fan and this has to be one of the best minor/major characters that have appeared on the show. He's actually the 3rd major character, but he is still in the sidelines compared to the Winchesters. Castiel is a Fallen Angel, and the more he has Human experiences the funnier and more lovable he becomes.

Supernatural has a lot of minor characters that can rank up the top. One of them I wouldn't have even counted as a minor character until it became the talk of the forums when the final was coming close, boy the fans didn't want to even think about the writers killing it. What is is? It's the beloved car that the brothers travel around in... minor characters can come in different shapes and sizes.

2. Maggie Simpson
Well, technically not a minor character, but definitely one that has remained on the sidelines and is underused. I reckon she is one of the best characters on the show. So sweet and innocent and mischievous (without anyone even knowing).

The Simpsons is another show that is chock-block full of interesting and different minor characters, and that pretty much what makes the episodes interesting.

3. Spike
Who doesn't love a minor character that was supposed to last a couple of episodes and ends up lasting till the end of the series, appearing in the spinoff as a regular (and this is after he has actually died) and getting a comic. The fans loved him so much that Whedon couldn't kill him off... and I'm glad he didn't, now this is the vampire that I like.

He was a bad boy from the start, and I don't know if it was just that English accent, or his attitude, but he was definitely worth remembering. I guess there would of been some sort of protest if they got rid of him.



4. Alice Cullins
I admit, I've read the stories and appreciate them, but am not a real fan (mainly because I like my heroine's to be the one doing the butt kicking). But, what really stood out in the Twilight saga was the minor characters. I ended up really liking Alice, I guess it was her perky attitude (and the future seeing thing didn't hurt either).



So, which characters do you remember the most?

Just a reminder that it's not too late to sign up for my "Tales from the Sideline" blogfest which is taking place on Thursday. Let those minor characters shine.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I loved Samwise in LOTR. He was Frodo's right hand man and stayed with him through everything. Without Sam, Frodo never would have made it!

Jemi Fraser said...

Good question!

Hmmm...

Gimli from LotR
Angela from Bones
Data from Star Trek

Anonymous said...

Alice and Jasper are the first who come to mind....Maybe old man Jenkins in Sponge-Bob...LOL

Janet Johnson said...

I have to go with kimysworld. Samwise was the bomb.

But I'm drawing a blank on others. Hmmm, I'll have to think more on it.

Stephanie McGee said...

Silk from David Eddings' series The Belgariad and The Mallorean.

Pounce from Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness quartet. Cloud from her Immortals quartet.

Those are all that come to mind at the moment.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I agree with Maggie, too! she's a great little character.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva