Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tales from the Sideline Blogfest


Wow, over the weekend this blog received its 100th follower and for that I'm speechless (when I started writing here I didn't even imagine reaching 50) and I thank every one of you. What better way to celebrate than to hold a blogfest.

Main characters are easy to write and develop. They are always the centre of attention, but what about the poor little sidekicks and minor characters? Sometimes it's easy to forget about the characters that spends a lot of the time on the sidelines, eager to get their turn to shine. Well, now's the time. The challenge is to post a scene which highlights a minor character. It can be a scene where he/she is helping the main character or one by themselves, but the main goal is to let them shine.

The rules are simple:
  1. Sign up on the form below so we know you're participating.
  2. Advertise this post so that people will know about the blogfest.
  3. On Thursday July 8, post a short excert that stars a minor character. Try to keep the posts to under 1,000 words if possible.
  4. Link back to this post so that others will be able to find the list of everyone participating.
  5. Make sure to come back on July 8 and comment on the other posts.
  6. Have Fun!
But wait, there's more...
At the end of the fest I'll randomly select a follower who's participating in the blogfest to receive a $15.00 gift card from Amazon.com. So, in order to be eligible for the prize you need to:
  1. Be a follower of the blog
  2. Participate in the Tales from the Sidelines blogfest on July 8
  3. Make sure you post your excert between 12:00am and 11:59pm on July 8
  4. Post a comment below to let me know you're participating.



As a final note, apart from being fun (and a good procrastinating tool), they are also helpful with fine tuning writing skills. There's a lot of blogfests out there at the moment and the lovely Andrew over at the WriteRunner has compiled a list of all the blogfests that are coming up, make sure you check some of them out.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I've added your Blogfest to my Blogfests&Contests page @ Tessa's Blurb.

Kerri Cuev said...

Ok I'm in! Now what side character to showcase hmmmm.

Stina said...

Cool idea for a blogfest. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I really like this blogfest prompt and have just the character I'd like to use. It's a long time to July 8!

Lexi said...

coool idea! and congrats on the 105 followers!

Hannah said...

Congrats on surpassing the 100 mark!! You're awesome so it's deserved.

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Hey, congrats on getting to and past 100 followers!! Great blog :D

lisa and laura said...

GREAT contest! Some of our favorite characters are minor, so this will be fun!

angelarene said...

I like this!! I'm in!

Dawn Embers said...

Yay for side characters! This is a great idea for a blogfest.

Stephanie Lorée said...

Hey this looks great! I added a link to your blogfest on my site and signed up, even followed you! It's like a Mesmerix hat trick. :)

Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Andrew Rosenberg said...

Thanks for the mention...but I just discovered this.
Don't forget to let me know about these things... ;)
Added to my calendar.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Cheree, I'm putting up a teaser post about the fest later today at http://triciajobrien.blogspot.com

Laura Canon said...

I love my minor characters. (I love all my characters, I guess) Time for them to get some attention!

Erin Kane Spock said...

I just, sadly, cut one of my minor characters down so much that I changed her name. Bessie was loud and proud, but Maggie is just a servant. Poor Bessie, may she rip.

In process of selecting a scene. My entry will post on the 8th! Thanks for hosting.

stu said...

Minor characters are more fun anyway.

JJ said...

Yes! I have just the scene. It's in need of editing so this is great!

Anonymous said...

I love my minor characters. I'll be participating! ;-)

Anastasia V. Pergakis said...

I'm a bit late to the sign up here, but I'm here! I love all my characters and this is a great blogfest to show off a few that seem to get over looked!

E. Arroyo said...

Just found out about the contest and posted. I think this is a great one.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva