Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wind-down Wednesday

Boy, the Lets Talk blogfest was fun yesterday, and now it's another Wednesday. Who doesn't need a mid-week wind-down? I know I definitely do.

So far this week I've:
  • Submitted my second last assignment (hey, I even had half an hour to spare... I'm doing good).
  • Passed an exam (since I decided that last minute studying and didn't open my books till the night before the exam that's fantastic).
  • Discovered 15 year olds *gasp* "Don't like to read"... how to teach them about a book if they won't read it is beyond me.
  • Decided to finally get started with my new superheroes novel. At the moment it's got the most original name in the world... "Heroes" (memo to self: I definitely need to change that).
  • And figured out there's not enough hours in the day (also, you need more than 4-5 hours sleep to be able to stay awake in a Maths class... I don't think a teacher falling asleep in the back of the class will look good).
 There are plenty of contests out on the blogosphere at the moment:
  • A new website called the League of Extraordinary Writers, established by a group of debut authors who write Science Fiction and Distopian YA novels is giving away a prize pack that consists of signed books, bookmarks and magnets.
  • Kathy Bradey over at Once Upon a Time in Writer Land is giving away several Amazon gift certificates.
  • Creepy Query Girl is holding a Spoof Query Contest in which a 30 page critique is up for grabs. All you have to do is query for an already established book or movie, but with one catch. You have to write a query the worst possible way. Use everything you've learnt shouldn't be done.
Well, I hope everyone's Wednesday is going great guns. As a finishing note I'll leave you with another funny video I found by the author of Sisters Red, Jackson Pearce.

7 comments:

Stina said...

Why is it I've never been able to write a bad query when I need to. I can only do them when I'm trying to write my own. Then I have no problems making them suck!

You're right. A teacher who falls asleep in math class is never a good sign. :D

Stephanie Thornton said...

Kids don't like to read school books, but if you give them a choice about what books to read (and they're actually interesting books with a decent plot), they'll be happy as little clams. At least from my experience.

Yay for all your school stuff wrapping up!

Hannah said...

I don't trust people who don't like to read. It's weird and I'll never understand it. I have loved to read since I was able to read. Books are awesome.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Sounds like you had a pretty productive week! thanks for plugging my contest and I LOVE that video- I saw it yesterday on someone else's blog. Too funny!

Kerri Cuev said...

What a busy week! Thanks for the cool links!

Lydia Kang said...

Nice links, thanks!!!

Stina said...

I have something for you on my blog. :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva