Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nothing is original, it's just the way you twist it...


I've been told plenty of times that nothing is original anymore. Well, they are sort of right. Most things have been done these days, but anything old can be given a fresh light with how the writer twists the idea.

I write paranormal and horror, so I always look for ways to describe old creatures or legends in new ways. In my current WiP I even have a unicorn bent on killing my main character (that's mainly because my brother dared me to put a unicorn into the story). Well, my twist on the old unicorn (apart from it being a savage beast), is that it's actually a were-creature. Yep, it's a man who can transform into a unicorn.

How does one take an old creature/theme and give it a new twist? These are some ways I think up my twists:
  1. Research
    All themes, legends and creatures have many differing origin points. A good way to find an original twist is to look at the different elements in each of the points and mix-and-mash until you have something different and unique.
  2. Mix the old with the new
    All the creatures used came from old tales. So, the trick is to see where they fit into the modern society. Add some technology, modern dress and emotions, and you've got a different creature.
  3. Move in the complete opposite direction
    Have a look at what the standard creature or legend looks like and do something or add something totally different and unexpected (take my unicorn for example). 
  4. Insanity does help
    Well, as a writer, it's okay to be a little bit crazy. I always love thinking up new and unexpected ideas for my stories that (I hope) haven't been done before. But, when I'm in writer mode, I can become a bit obssessed and think about these things constantly. Yes, even when I'm at work I'm thinking about the best way to kill a water elemental in the bathroom (that was a messy deal) or kill a unicorn. Yes, I hear voices and I'm proud of that.
So, how do you create original twists to your writing? Where do you get your ideas from

6 comments:

Angela Brown said...

I'm working on a paranormal story with varying degrees/relation of succulers - from vampires to a syphon and will involve succubi pretty soon.

And I've taken a unicorn...or at least it's blood, to do something interesting. Not sure if it has been done, but you are right. So many things have been done it's sort of hard to find a way to develop a real original. Though I admit it is pretty interesting trying.

Christine Fonseca said...

I get inspiration everywhere. And yes, I love taking something and twisting it into something else.

Aldrea Alien said...

Do I have original twists? Looking back, I suppose, but it sure wasn't a deliberate act at the time.



Love the cartoon. ^_^

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

lol, cool unicorn. And great post! :)

Lynda R Young

Cynthia Lee said...

I love to twist things into other things, smoosh genres together.

There's nothing wrong with it. :)

Krista McLaughlin said...

Twisting things is fun! My WIP is a fantasy book about an oppressed people, but the twist is that they are all children and being murdered. I bet you didn't see that coming. :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Her Lullaby kit by Irene Alexeeva